Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Baby Steps Towards My Goal

I've been told that Brazilian Jiu-jitsu (BJJ) is more than a martial art; it's a lifestyle. Now that I'm about a year and a quarter into my journey to the elusive Black Belt, I'm beginning to see how that's the case. I'm sure that anyone who has found this blog accidentally are already familiar with the art, so there's really no need to go into a lot of background information about the art itself. That being said, I'll give you a bit more info about myself.

I'm nearing 35 years old and I decided to take up this art as a way of complementing my studies in American Kenpo. Along the way, I realized that Brazilian Jiu-jitsu is a far more complete self-defense system than Ed Parker's American Kenpo, so I decided to put my focus on that. I have been training with the local Gracie Barra affiliated club in town, as well as doing the Gracie Combatives dvd program when time permits.

I've entered 3 tournaments so far and managed to win one match. I'm not exactly tearing up the tournament scene, but I'm fine with that, since I've always been more interested in the self-defense aspect of BJJ anyway. The purpose of this blog is to help me to keep track of what I've learned and just generally follow my journey. With any luck, I'll earn a Black Belt someday. At this point, I'm a one-stripe white belt, so the final prize is a long, long way away. Stay tuned for future updates.

No comments:

Post a Comment