Monday, December 14, 2009

scissor sweep and arm bar

I'm pretty clueless about sweeps, so anything I can learn and manage to apply is going to be helpful. Sunday's class focused on the scissor sweep and, failing that, the transition to arm bar. I start from closed guard. I get control of the cross shoulder lapel (eg. my right hand grabs the opponent's right lapel-- deep threatening grip, if possible). I open my guard, plant my right foot, and shrimp out enough to be able to slip my knee and shin back inside across the opponent's chest. I want my leg to be angled here. I don't want the leg to be parallel to the ground at this point. My right foot should be able to hook on to my opponent's left side/obliques.

With my left arm, I gain control of the opponent's right arm. To execute the sweep, I load my opponent on to me by pulling him forward. I place my left leg on the mat with the back of my knee in line with the opponent's knee. I kick my right leg forward, chop my left leg back, and pull the opponent forward in one simultaneous movement. This should swing him over onto his back and give me the mount. Since the right hand is already deep in the lapel, I am already set up for the choke.

If I cannot manage to get him over, I need to change tactics. To free my right leg from my opponent's chest, I need to extend and kick the leg forward to extend it behind his back. I bite down with the leg on the opponent's back. My left leg finds the opponent's hip and pushes off to rotate me to the right. Curl the shoulders up off the ground to get a smaller surface area on the ground and facilitate rotation. As I rotate, I must bite down hard on the opponent's back with my right leg. This should force him down further and affect his balance, sending him forward. Swing the left leg over his head, control his right arm, and extend my hips to hyper-extend the elbow.

If I'm the one caught in the arm bar, I need to grab onto the crook of my bicep before my opponent extends his legs and hips. The tighter I am, the better. From here, I begin short quick pulls of the threatened arm towards the back. Inch by inch, I should be able to get the arm free. Once the elbow has cleared danger, then I need to extend it back across the opponent's hamstring and begin the stacking/smash pass. From there, I move to side control.

No comments:

Post a Comment