Sunday, January 29, 2012

Sunday class

Today was the first Sunday class I've made in a few weeks.  As per usual, the warm-ups were a bit on the unusual side, including some leap frogging activities for explosiveness (at least I think that's why we did it).  From there, the pure beginners were split off while those of us with more experience paired off to drill some throwing combinations.

I think it's pretty obvious that I need a lot more work on my kuzushi and foot work.  The first combo we worked on was a transition from a failed Ippon Seionage to a variation of O-soto gari (I think).  It requires a change in direction, rotating back into the opponent's body, hooking the outside leg and driving at a 45 degree angle away from where the support leg should be.  The second one we worked was like a foot sweep/knee push to set up for uchimata. 

Rather than working the combo, I chose to go more into the entry.  I have to remember not to step in too far.  I need to be able to rotate and pull my opponent on to my hip before finishing the throw.  It's a work in progress, but I'll keep at it.

No comments:

Post a Comment